Friday, November 7, 2014

Double race weekend

Boo Run 5K and Bill's Beer Run
October 25-26, 2014

I don't normally like to run two races in one weekend, but I really wanted to run Boo Run this year, so I decided a couple of months ago to go ahead and sign up for it. It's part of a 3 race seriers, so I needed to get it in. Plus, I had heard it was a great race. Of course I had to run the Manasota Track Clubs biggest race of the year on Sunday. Bill's Beer run brings out almost all of the local runners. It's a great race and fun party after.

Boo Run: I wasn't able to pick up my packet ahead of time, so I got out to Lakewood Ranch an hour and a half before race start. There is a Starbucks in the Main Street shops area, so I stopped in there, before walking over to get my packet and timing chip. Headed back to the car to finish getting ready and to stay warm. Temps in the low 60s. Thankfully, cooler Fall weather has made it to Florida! After getting a text message from Gina, we meet up and then head over to the race area. We hang out a bit, talking to people we know, before leaving our keys and extra clothing at the Fit2Run table. Since I've been so tight for the first mile or so of my runs lately, I decide to go out for a slow warm up mile about 15 minutes before race start. The easy paced mile feels good. I get back to the start area as they are playing the national anthem. I manage to find Gina in the crowd and moments later it is go time!

I head out fast. I figure I'm going to give it my all today, so that I can take it easier tomorrow. Normally, I'm kind of conservative the first mile or so, but I decide to push it right from the start. The course is out and back. Completely flat. I felt pretty good through mile one, but did slow it down a little. I knew Gina was behind me, so I just tried to stay ahead of her. I figured if I was ahead of her, I must be doing well, since she is always kicking my bootie in these races! I pass the water stop without getting any water. I can make 3 miles without it. Stopping just slows me down. I haven't mastered the grab and drink yet. I always spill it all over or the water goes up my nose! By the last mile, I can feel myself slowing a little, but looking at my Garmin, I am still under an 8 min mile pace, so I am happy. We make the last turn and I can see the finish line down the road. I start pushing it hard. I feel my stomach start to give me troubles. This may be the first time I throw up at the finish! I cross the finish line, so happy to see that I made it in under 24 minutes!

Gina comes in soon after me. We get food and drink and then hang out until results are posted. We both place in the top 3 of our age group! Gina gets 2nd and I get 3rd. So happy! We hang out Donna and her friend until awards are presented. Donna is suprised to hear her name called for Grand master winner. We each get a Tervis mug with the race logo inside. Such a great race. Excited for day two tomorrow.

Finish - 23:54
Splits - 7:28, 7:38, 7:53, 0:47

Gina, Donna and me.


Bill's Beer Run, 5 miler, Casey Key, FL

Once again, I headed down to the race venue, early. The parking lot is smallish for the amount of runners, so I wanted to make sure I got a spot. I parked in the southern part of the lot, with a great view of the water and the sun rise. I hung out in my car for a bit, before Gina arrived. We hung out for a little longer, before hitting the bathrooms and walking over to find friends. Once again, I lost Gina, and had to search for her in the started area. :) I decided not to do a warm up run this morning. I didn't have any big goals, since I had a great race the day before. I figured I would just try to keep last years pace, which I though was around a 40 min finish.

This is a much larger race, than the previous day's event. We were tightly packed for a little longer this morning, but after half a mile or so, the crowd thinned out. Gina and I were near each other for the first half mile, but then I lost her. Wasn't sure if she was ahead or behind. I felt pretty good keeping a comfortably hard pace, but not pushing it. The course runs down Casey Key, which is lined with beautiful houses. There are a few open spots on the Gulf side, were we get a view of the beach and water. Before reaching the half way point, I am seeing lots of the speedy runners passing by on my left, heading back to the finish line. I love this race because I see so many familiar faces. I love calling out to everyone, shouting a "Hi" or calling someones name. I hit the turn around and head back. I see more friends, more shouting and waving. This is the best part of the race! Soon enough, there are no more runners to see on the otherside of the road, and it is time to put focus back on my pace. My left hamstring is starting to tighten up. It worries me a little. I'm only a couple of weeks from marathon weekend. I don't want an injury! I slow it down a little, but try to keep it around an 8 min mile pace. I grab a cup of water during the 4th mile, walking for a few seconds (which you can see with my slower split time). I try to keep pace with the runners who have been around me for a while and as I get close to the finish, I pick up the pace, trying to pass a few. Turning the corner towards the finish line, I manage to pass one more guy before finishing!

Super happy with my finish time again today! I didn't realize until I got home, and looked at last year's time, that I managed another PR! Took over 40 seconds off of my time from last year. Placed 8th in my age group. Very proud of that, This is a fast group of runners!

Finish- 40:06
Splits - 7:53, 7:55, 7:58, 8:11, 7:55


No comments:

Post a Comment