Saturday, May 11, 2019

So much for my new goal of posting!

It is now May 11, and I am finally posting again. Oh well. I do THINK about it. But then never remember when I'm sitting at my computer.

It's been a busy few months. After Gasparilla, I ran the Starkey Half, #89, on March 9th. It was a tough trail race for me. I made a wrong turn on the second loop, which didn't help with my overall feeling. I pushed through to finish. It was a nice course, just a hot day and lot's of sugar sand. That's a one and done race for me.

On March 31st I ran my 90th half marathon. The Iron Girl half in Clearwater. I haven't run this race in a few years. Its a beautiful course, it's just hilly, with 4 big bridge crossings. And, it's usually pretty hot, which it was this year. I felt great for the first half, keeping my pace at around a 9 min mile, but then the heat started to get to me and I slowed down a lot. Finished in 2:06:53
This was on the second loop. Same view as next photo, but not as high up the mountain.

The following weekend,, April 6th, I was in California for my brother's wedding. I found a local trail race, that was the morning after the wedding and thought, why not?! The Angel Island 15 miler, also had a 5 and a 10 mile run. I should have signed up for one of the shorter distances. We took a ferry boat over to the island, which was in the San Francisco bay. We had to go over pretty early, so I had over an hour to wait before the start of my event. The first loop was going to be the easiest as it was around the lowest part of the island. The second loop went around the middle and the third climbed up to the very top. I had seen the elevation chart but if didn't really hit me until I was there and running. The first loop was a challenge!

When I was struggling through the second loop, I seriously considered not continuing for the final loop, knowing it was going to be even harder. I got to the end of the second loop and after refilling my water bottles, decided to just try the last loop. It was very hard. I walked most of the way up to the top. Many times I just wanted to sit and rest because walking and catching my breath was a struggle! On the way down, I had hoped to run a bit more, but I was feeling dizzy, so I ran as much as I could, before walking a bit. I finally finished and I wasn't the last! :D I felt pretty yucky for a few hours after. Once I was on the airplane the next day, I started throwing up. A lot throughout the entire day. I must have been coming down with something during the race and that's why the run was so tough for me. I was sick for 5 days with a stomach bug.
At the top!!

Two weeks later, I was back on the trails. This time for the Moon River half marathon (#92 as Angel Island counts as #91). Bonnie and I ran this half last year. I really liked the course so I was back again this year. Siri was my running buddy this time. The race is an evening run, starting at 6:30, so we have a good 1:30 of time in the light. I felt pretty good for most of the race. It wasn't speedy, but I felt comfortable. But, just after mile 12, I twisted my ankle. HARD. I hobbled into the finish. It was bothering me for almost a week! Even weeks later, the top/side of my foot is a little tender. This race always has good post race food. Siri and I had a good dinner before the long drive back to Sarasota.

Next up: The Spring Fling Sprint Triathlon

No comments:

Post a Comment