Thursday, November 7, 2013

Bill's Beer Run


Casey Key, FL
October 27, 2013

Gina, me, Fernanda and Melissa
Bill's Beer Run is the annual run/party for our local running club. This year was the 25th anniversary and it sold out months ago. Race morning, I met Melissa at her house and then she drove us down to Casey Key. We got there pretty early, so we just hung out in the car for a while, eating our pre race meal and chatting. About half an hour before the start, we met up with other friends, made a porta pottie stop then headed to the start line. I lined up right next to Gina, but knew she would pull ahead pretty quick.

Once we got going, Gina did pull ahead by the first half mile. We had perfect race day temps, low 60s, so I decided to push my pace, even though I had the marathon in a week. By the time we got to mile 2, I started seeing runners heading back. This was the best part of the course, looking for friends who were on their way back to the finish. I called out greetings to many friends before and after the turn around. Eventually, I had to curb some of that cheering, as I could tell it was taking some energy! By mile 3, I got back to concentrating on my pace. As I turned the corner to the finish line, I pushed the pace even more, to finish strong.

So happy with my time and with my new 5 mile PR! I ended up with 8th in my age group. I am really happy with that. I had some good competition.

Mile splits: 7:58, 8:04, 8:01, 8:12, 7:56
Finish: 40:50

Top 10 in my age group, with Bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment