Sunday, March 13, 2016

Best Damn Race - Orlando and Doggie Bones 5K

March 5-6, 2016

I had such a great time at the Best Damn Race Safety Harbor race, that it didn't take much for Carolyn to talk me into signing up for the Orlando event, even though it's only a week before the Sarasota Half. I figured I always talk her into races, I guess I should let her talk me into one every now and then. :)

We decided to stay in Orlando the night before the race, since it's a good 2 hour drive from Sarasota. We still got up early race morning, though to drive the 10 miles to the race. We got a parking spot in the Library garage, where it seemed EVERYONE was trying to park! The race start/finish area was just a couple of blocks away, so a perfect spot to park. We walked over, got our bib and goodie bag and then had some time to just hang out before the start of the race. Duncan Donuts was there with donuts, coffee and hot Chocolate. Pretty nice set up! We got a pre race photo, hit the porta potty, before heading to the corral. There was only 2 ways to get in the tough way was from the back, which most people seemed to be doing. We decided to go in from the front. So much easier! Plus, our pacer was pretty far forward, so we didn't feel like we were in the wrong spot. The national anthem was sung and we were off!

Right from the start, I felt my breathing was not right. I wasn't going fast enough for it to be so hard to breathe! I knew within the first mile that this was going to be a tough race, but I would just push through as best as I could. The first couple of miles had a lot of brick road. It wasn't smooth brick but the old kind that was very uneven. I had to watch my footing and slow down during each of these sections. The course winds back and forth through the neighborhood near downtown before we get to a small airport at mile 4. We have to then run on the side walk for a couple of miles. At least mile 5 is around a pretty lake. Miles 1 to 6 - 8:16, 8:25, 8:29, 8:30, 8:37, 8:48

I am finding it harder and harder to keep up a decent pace. Each mile is gradually getting slower. My hamstring is STILL bothering me, but the bigger issue is not being able to breathe well. I've got lots of mucous in my throat, which I try to spit out. By mile 10, when I eat the second half of my bag of Honey Stinger chews, I have to stop and walk. I can't eat, breathe and run at the same time. I keep the walk short. I stretch my calves, then start running again. The stretching helps a lot. With about half a mile left, my calf is cramping again, so i stop and stretch it. I couldn't run it out! The stretch helped again. I was able to add a little kick to the last stretch to the finish line. Miles 7 to finish - 8:45, 9:07, 9:03, 9:14, 9:54, 9:00, 9:08, 1:03

Finsih: 1:56;23, 4th in age group!


Doggie Bones 5K and Pedal for Pups 15 mile bike ride

Wasn't planning on running this, but I got talked into it. Since the 10K is in the MTC racing series, most runners would be running that event. I figured I could take it easy with the 5K, no pressure. Race morning, I started off with Gina. We start off on the island at Benderson Park. There is a steepish hill right away, to get you up to the bridge and then on the main road. We take a right, heading south on the east side of the lake. Gina continues on as we reach the turnaround. I was so happy to be heading back, even if it had to be in a strong wind! I got to see some friends running, so I got to do a bit of encouraging cheering before I passed by the end of the group. Since the 5K was a smaller race than the 10K, It felt like I was out there on my own. I could see about 5 people a ways ahead of me. I did get passed by a woman, with a mile to go, but I didn't have it in me try and keep up with her. I loved taking that last left turn to head down the hill and then straight to the finish. Always makes for a fun/fast finish

Finish time: 26:40, second in age group!



I hung out after the race, to cheer in runners. When Gina came in, we grabbed our bikes then got in line to head out with all the other 15 mile riders.
It was a pretty nice ride, just windy out. We had to stop at many traffic lights, but I managed to unclip, without falling, at each of them! The bike ride felt good on my legs. Flushed out the tightness a bit.

What a great weekend of racing!

No comments:

Post a Comment