Friday, December 1, 2017

Space Coast Half Marathon

November 26, 2017
Half Marathon #78
5th and final year of the Big Bang Series - Intergalatic Challange

While I love this race, and the course, I am happy this is my last year for a while. The race was not what I wanted. I knew it wasn't going to be fast (I just wasn't in the shape I needed to be for that), but I was hoping to run it in around 2 hours. That wasn't to be. I think with my back issues, it's time to adjust my thinking on how I go about training and racing.

Beautiful sunrise.

Race morning: I left the hotel at 4:15 am. Last year, my normal parking lot had been close to full when I left the hotel at 4:30. I knew there were more runners this year, so I didn't want to take any chances. I am so glad I did leave early, since I discovered as I was about to turn into the parking area, that it was closed off! OMG! I later discovered they were using it for parking for all the buses. I have always parked there and had no idea of where else to go. So, I drove down a couple of streets, followed some other cars into parking lots. On my third lot, I found the last spot! It happened to be a block from the starting line, opposite side from were I usually park. Instead of heading over to bag drop off, I just hung out in my car, walking over to the start line 15 minutes before the start. I got in with the 1:50 group, mostly because it was super crowded behind them and I didn't think I could squeeze in there. National anthem and the shuttle launch on the giant screen. We were off!


Right away I could tell my body wasn't up for "racing". My heart seemed to be working extra hard. So, after the first half mile, I pulled it back a bit. Based on my first mile time, I must have been running way to fast! I was still hoping for a time close to 2 hours, I just figured a sub 2 would probably not be in the cards for the day, if I was feeling this bad at the start of the race. The first few miles were very dark. I had to keep my eye on the ground in front of me. I really didn't want to fall! The sunrise was beautiful! The weather was pretty nice, too. I had a feeling it would warm up fast though and be hot for those marathoners. I ate some Honey Stinger chews at mile 5, stopping to walk briefly. Miles 1 to 5 - 8:54, 8:58, 8:51, 9:00, 9:15

At the turn around, I stepped off the road to stretch my legs. They were feeling really tight and heavy, like I had done a day of  "legs" at the gym the day before. My hips were getting really tight. Over the next few miles, I felt myself slowing down, even when I would try to push the pace. My legs did not want to lift! My hips were so out of wack that my gait was thrown off. The last miles were pretty painful. The only bright spots were seeing friends out on the course. After the turn, I kept my eye out for everyone that I new was running and called out to them when I saw them. I've never stopped at the lawn were the homeowners make mimosas, bloody marys and other drinks. I almost did on this day! But it was on the other side of the road and there were a bunch of runners between me and the drinks, so, I kept going. I did a lot of walk/running during those last few miles. Super happy to have crossed that finish line, completing another half marathon! Miles 6 to 13.1 - 9:44, 10:03, 10:22, 10:45, 12:21, 10:55, 11:00, 10:59, 1:59 (for.2)

Finish - 2:13:13


All the medals from the race series. (note: I didn't take this. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment