Tuesday, October 16, 2018

John Holmes 50K

Saturday, October 6, 2018
Brooksville, Fl

Why did I decide to train for a 24 hour running event, again? This summer heat has been beating me down. And for the last few weeks, I've been having pre menopausal hot flashes. Which makes my body feel like I am on fire! Even with these conditions, I've been getting in most of my training miles. My mid week runs have been shorter. I just don't have the desire to get up earlier then 4 am to run 10 to 12 miles by myself! I decided a few weeks ago to put this 50K in my training schedule. I was hoping the weather would be a little cooler, since it's now October. Well, the week leading up to this run, it wasn't really any better.


Race morning: Bonnie picked me up at 4:15 am. She offered to drive, which was really nice of her. She was running the 9 mile distance, so she would have a very long wait for me, once she was done. It took us just under two hours to reach the race venue. We got our t-shirt and race bib, hit the restroom, then I got all my gear in order. As we waited for my run to start (her run started an hour later), I decided I would try to use the restroom one more time. When I got there, three other people were waiting in line. By the time I got in, I had a minute left before 7 am! I got in and out of there as fast as I could, but was still a ways away from the start, when the horn sounded.

I quickly caught up to the group then hung out in the middle of the pack. A little more then half a mile down the paved road, we turned left, on a dirt road. About a quarter of a mile on this, before turning left again, on to the trail, that was part of the big loop we would run 4 times. I didn't get a chance to see the map, before the run, so I was very confused as to where we were on the trail. I knew it was a different course from previous races I've run out here.

I wish I would have brought my go pro or phone, because the sun rise was beautiful. It was also very hilly. Long, gentle climbs, for the most part. I was able to run up most of them, this first loop, but knew I would be walking them for the next 3 loops. About 3 miles in, starting down a hill, I was telling myself to slow down and be careful. And as I was thinking this, I twisted my left ankle pretty good! Thankfully, I was able to shake it off and after a few minutes, it wasn't hurting any longer. It helps that I wear compression socks and sleeves, to keep down any potential swelling!

Even though I had 2 big bottles of Tailwind with me, I was eager to get to the first aid station. Finally got to it around 4 miles in. They were just setting up, so I just got a cup of water, then continued on. As I was running down one hill, I notice the big pine cone peace art work on the ground to my left. I've only ever seen it from the opposite direction! It was great to have a general idea of where I was. Around mile 8, we got to the second aid station. This is were our drop bags were placed, so after filling up one of my empty bottles with water, I went to my drop bag to get a fresh washcloth and and iced bandana. My iced coffee had spilled a little in the cooler during the transport, so I got to smell coffee on my bandanna for the next few miles!
This elevation chart looks crazy! That is feet, on the left side. It was not really as bad as this looks. :)

Heading out of the aid station, I made note of what mile I was at, so I could then know how many miles in between aid stations. I had an idea of between 3 and 4 miles, but it's nice to know for sure. It gives me something to look forward to. :) A bit over half a mile from the aid station, we make a right turn. There had been just one person there the first time, directing us to the right. This time, there were a bunch a people hanging out and one person keeping track of our bib numbers and which loop we were on. After 4 loops, I would turn left here, heading to the finish! On this second loop, I had someone in front of me for a bit, but he pulled ahead on an uphill. Then, it was just me by myself until I got to the aid station 3.25 miles later. I had to really pay attention, so I wouldn't miss a turn. The course was very well marked though. There was only once, when I was walking and super tired, that I wondered if I had missed a turn. Thankfully, I had not!

About a mile before getting done with my second loop, I came up to some runners who were in the 14 mile event. It was good to see people again! For the next 2 loops, I was on my own, only seeing one or two other runners, when I got to an aid station. It was pretty lonely! It helped to have the aid stations every 3 ish miles, as it gave me something to look forward to that wasn't super far away. Thankfully there were a lot of trees. They were the thin pine trees, so sun did get through, but there was just enough shade, that I didn't feel like the sun was beating down on me. When I did get into a wide open spot, It was very hot! So over this heat already!

As I came to the aid station for the last time, I asked if there had been anyone there recently. The woman said 2 people had left not long before I got there. That gave me some motivation to stop walking so much and to try and run in most of the 1.5 miles left. At the intersection, where I got to finally turn left, 2 runners were talking to the volunteers. I got by them, then picked up the pace, trying to keep ahead. I wasn't sure how far back in the group of runners I was, but I didn't want to be last. The last bit of the run, was up hill and very technical. I had to walk some, but then we got to the main road. I saw the finish and ran it in.

I did it! We got this cool 50 ounce stainless steel mug.
Finish: 7:20

I'm so happy that my body has allowed me to run my 4th 50K! I was having some upper back pain during most of the run. These little flair ups happen every once in a while even though I've been taking Enbrel for months, which has help a great deal. I just tried to keep my mind off of it, stretch my shoulders back and forth and focus on the trail ahead of me. I am a bit nervous to think about running for 24ish hours in a month, but, I'll just take it one step at a time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment