Friday, October 26, 2018

One week until The Big Ultra!

I can't believe the ultra, that I've been training for all year, is one week from today!

The last two weeks of taper, have been going well. It was nice having an easy two days of running last weekend. Last Saturday, I ran 7 miles, before walking 3 during the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk. Sunday, I got out early (5 am) with Bonnie, for 11 miles. We were done so early, I was home before 7:30. I felt like going back to bed!

My upper back has been giving me some problems, every so often. Swimming has seemed to help. Now that the water in the pool is cooler, it's refreshing, since the temperatures are still getting pretty high during the day. And, the cool water seems to help my arthritis a bit. I am worried about having a flare up during the Ultra. I'm just going to go into the event with a positive attitude!

This last weekend, I have 10 miles on Saturday and Bill's Beer Run 5 Miler on Sunday. I plan to take it easy on Sunday and not "race". It should be one of my slowest BBR events! Always a great after party.

Thinking of next weekend, has me wondering if I could possibly get in 100 miles, if I change to a 48 hour ultra. My main goal is 100K during the first 15 hours, which is on my birthday. 9 am to midnight. Once I hit that goal, I plan on trying to sleep in the back of my car for a couple of hours, before getting up and going out for more miles. I guess I'll decide on adding extra hours, when I find out how I feel that morning. I'm retiring from Ultra events after this, so I want to take advantage of the training. My back can not handle this continued pounding. I hope to get in another few marathons, but that's after taking a long break from the long distance. No running over 15 miles for me for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment