Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Holiday Halfathon

December 9, 2012
Madiera Beach, FL

Super foggy morning in FL race morning. I drove over to the Super Target to meet up with Gina and Ken. Ken was going to drive us to the race, which I was thankful for. It was scary driving in that thick fog. We got to the race start area pretty early. We hung out in the car for a bit, then went to use the bathrooms in the building were packet pickup was being held. We ran into Brenda on the way over, took a photo next to a shark statue outside the Firestation and then headed in. Ken picked up his shirt and bib, we got our chips and then headed back to the car for a bit. Ken decided to start early, with the walkers, because his foot was really bothering him, so we headed to the start area just before 7. I got in line to use the porta potty one more time, then we had a bit of a wait before the race start. It was warm. High 60s and super humid. Just before the race started, my stomach got queasy and my mouth started watering. Not a good sign. I quickly adjusted my time goals. This was not going to be a sub 2 hour half day. Soon, the national anthem was sung and we were off!

Just before the finish. Yeah! :)
Gina and I started pretty close to the start. We got caught up with the fast runners. I kept looking at my Garmin and seeing times in the 7 min mile range! When we got to the main beach road, I eased up the pace a bit. Gina kept on going. By mile 2, I could hardly see her up ahead of me. I was OK with this. If she was having a good day, I really wanted her to get that PR if she could. My stomach was doing ok for the first few miles, so I decided to push the pace for as long as I could. The first small bridge was at mile 4. Got over that just fine. :) Splits 1 through 4 - 8:19, 8:40: 8:56, 9:13

After we get off the island. We run east, through a very nice neighborhood. We have all of the left lane to ourselves, which is nice. My plan was to take an endurolyte every 2 miles and a gel at around mile 6 and 10. So, just after mile 6, I slowed to a walk to have the gel and drink some water (slower time). Soon, we were running the loop around a park and then making our way onto the Pinellas Trail. I stopped at the water stop for a quick refill of one of my water bottles, before continuing on. I was hoping to wait for another walking break until mile 10, but I couldn't wait. Walked a little at mile 8. I forget where the first overpass bridge was, but I did manage to power up that sucker. Splits 5 through 10 - 9:10, 9:32, 10:19, 9:33, 9:59, 9:57

The second overpass was around mile 10, I got half way up that sucker, before walking. I was just happy to be over it, because I knew it was the last one! I feel like I forgot how boring it can be to run on this trail. It seemed to go on forever! I might have to skip this race next year, but maybe that was just the heat talking to me. Just before mile 12, we turn off the trail and enter the park were the finish is located. We enter to the right of the finish area. You can hear all the people cheering, but we turn to the right, away from the finish. There is a big loop around the lake to run first. Part of that run is on a dirt trail. This didn't bother me much. Just happy there wasn't a lot of gravel! I did have to take 2 walking breaks during this last mile. If I had been "racing" this, I would have pushed through, but I knew I would get a sub 2:10, which was my second goal, so I figured, why not save something for the end. :) I was really happy to take the last corner and push it in. I even passed a guy just before the finish! Splits 11 through 13.1 - 10:30, 10:21, 11:00, 1:21

Finish 2:07:34. Happy with my finish time. Actually, considering the heat and how I was feeling, I'm very happy with it. :)  Gina almost got her sub 2! She finished in 2:00:27! Next up, the 12-12-12 Marathon of Sarasota in just a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment