Monday, December 31, 2012

Savage Seven Marathon - Day 5

Winter Springs, FL December 30, 2012

The Savage Seven Marathon series is one held the day after Christmas to New Years day. I guess the location moves around, last year it was in Northern Florida on a track. This year the race was held in a town just to the east of Orlando. I had been thinking of trying to make it over for one or two races, but didn't think I could make it work. So the week leading up to the race I didn't taper at all. 5 miles on Monday, 8 miles on Wednesday, a track workout (3 miles) on Thursday. Thursday afternoon, I discovered that I could make it over for the Day 5 marathon. There was race day registration available and Brenda said I could stay in her hotel the night before. I figured I would just go out and run it like a long run. The weather forecast looked good (nice and cool) and I would be able to see Brenda and Patti on their quest to become Marathon Maniacs. I worked a short shift Saturday, before making the 2.5 hour drive over. So glad I don't live in the Disney area just west of Orlando. Major traffic for a few miles through there, but I finally made it to the hotel around 5 pm. Brenda and I had a good dinner, got our gear set out and ready for the race and then got a good nights sleep.

Me and Patti.
We got up at 4:30 the next morning. I got dressed, capri skirt, compression sleeves, socks, shoes, Maniac Diva shirt, Maniac arm sleeves, pullover half-zip and visor. I hoped to at least take the pullover off at some point in the morning. The temp said low 40s, but the feels like temp was 32! The race start was at 6am. I needed to find a place to get coffee before getting to the race and registering. I somehow got my self turned around with the directions I wrote out (I should not try to find places at 5am with no coffee in me first!) I finally stopped at a 7-Eleven to get coffee and also pick up a power bar. I had left my pre race Marathon Bar at the hotel! I ate that on the way while trying to find the race. I started getting worried as the clock went past 5:30. I ALWAYS get to a race early. I wasn't even signed up yet! Finally I pulled in around 5:40. There were just a few people there at this point. I found Bettie, the race director, right away. I got signed up, got my bib and shirt and then went to my car to get my stuff set up. I had brought a TV try table to set up my water bottle, gu and wash cloth on. I figured I could stop by it as I ran by, when needed. I hit the porta pottie and then headed over to the small group that had gathered. Bettie had told me there were around 24 runners. So, a very small group of runners this very cold, winter morning. Race course: 50 loops around the parking lot at Winter Springs High School. Since I just ran a 58 loop marathon a couple of weeks ago, I knew I could mentally do this one. Thank goodness I had my music today as there was no DJ! (I wore only one ear bud so that I could hear and talk with other runners.)

I started off in the middle of the pack, but very quickly moved up front. I knew the main reason I was out front was because most of these runners had already run 4 or 5 marathons in the previous days. But I didn't care, it was a cool feeling to be out front. I was feeling good, the effort didn't feel "fast" so I went with it. By the time I had run past the start line and was about half way through my second lap, I could see I had gained half a lap. The lap counters and others at the aid station kept giving me surprised looks each time I ran by them. I guess I was going a lot faster than most of the runners had been running in the previous days. :) At mile 3, I turned on my watch that was set up with 3/1 intervals. I was feeling so good though, I figured I would walk every other time it beeped. So I was really doing a 7/1 interval of run/walk. Around mile 4.5, I stopped at the aid station for the first time, grabbed a gu and a cup of water and walked a bit while I ate and drank. Then I was on the run again. Miles 1 thru 5 - 9:32, 9:21, 9:18, 9:41, 10:12

Me and Brenda
Some time between mile 8 and 9, I realized I hadn't been drinking as much as I normally do. Usually, I drink a little every 2 miles and I also have an endurolyte every 2 miles. But today, It was so cool and it didn't seem like I was sweating as much, so I didn't even think about it. Around mile 9, I had 1 endurolyte and and another Gu with water. I was still feeling really good. I ran with Jeff once or twice during these early miles. He was on marathon #5. His lower shin was bothering him and he was hoping he would be OK for the days race. He also told me I was still in the lead. What! Even though it's such a small race, if felt pretty cool to be in the lead. :) Miles 6 thru 10 - 9:24. 9:08, 10:02, 9:47, 10:09

I made it to the half way point still feeling good. I still had on my pullover though. Every time I thought of pulling it off, I would hit the very windy stretch and decide it was still to cold to take it off. It did feel a little better out once the sun came out. Around mile 12, I had a banana and during mile 14, I had to make a pit stop at the porta potty, which cost me almost 2 minutes. :( Miles 11 thru 17 - 9:58, 9:56, 9:54, 11:42, 10:31, 10:12, 10:12

Cowboy Jeff kept me company for a couple of laps.
Based on my splits, I started slowing down at mile 18, even though I didn't notice it much when I was running. I hit mile 20 at 3 hours and 20 minutes, which was an awesome overall pace for me. If I could just hold it, I would have a huge PR! But of course, that was not to be. My body really started to stiffen up. I took a couple more endurolytes with my next Gu, but the damage was done. I am guessing I didn't get enough electrolytes and water in me during the earlier miles. I thought I wasn't sweating much, but as I discovered later, my shirt under the pullover was very sweaty! Jeff came by and ran with me for a little over a lap. he pointed out Rich and told me he was about to lap me and take the lead! There was nothing I could do about it. I could not speed up! Cowboy Jeff came out and ran a couple of laps with me. I really appreciate these guys running with me for brief periods of time. It really helped to keep me going when I felt like slowing down and walking more. By the time Rich finished, and won!, I still had one lap to go. These two high school boys, who were volunteers, ran the last lap with me. I turned off my interval watch and just ran it in as hard as I could to finish strong. Somehow, I must have weaved a quit a bit, with my stop at the bathroom, to toss things next to my car and grab things off the tray and the aid station, because I added almost an extra mile! Sucks! Of course, Garmin could be off a little
Miles 18 to 26 - 11:01, 11:04, 10:57, 11:13, 11:11, 11:19, 12:24, 13:11, 12:23 Mile 27 - 10:56

Jeff, Me and Rich.
Finish: 4:44. I ended up with 2nd overall and first female! That was the first and probably the last time that will ever happen! :) Super happy with it though. I just hope to figure out what is going on with my legs later on in the marathon. This didn't happen a couple of weeks ago. The only thing I can figure is that I didn't hydrate properly.

I think it would have been fun to run more than one day. Maybe in a couple of years when the race series comes back to Florida. Jeff is taking the 2013-14 Savage Seven to Jackson, MS. I was told it would be back in Florida for 2014-15. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment